Spartans Home

Flying Tips

MurkyThud_EBDA

(Not allowed to create a new topic so i thought i would add this here)

Some people fly the choppers so smoothly and it bugs me. I am sure they have had experience in ARMA1 flying machines as well so their reflexes and touch are more precise then mine...i also know that my flying greatly improved when i got a joystick.

Is there a particular joystick that you guys use to makes your flying so spectacular? Or is it a combination of the TrackIR and joysticks?

In response to Murky's post, I thought I'd put up a section on tips for flying choppers.

Post your flying tips as well as your joystick reccommendations here.

I will post mine soon, but just wanted to get it started and give my joystick rec below.

1. Logitek Extreme 3D Pro. It is solidly built and has everything you need to fly, including throttle, rudder, and a hat switch for easily turning your head, all without having to break the bank. I've had it for years and love it.

A cheap Logitech ATTACK 3, throttle usage and setting the controls so it makes sense to me (no previous flying experience) and a whole loota practice has made me a much more confident flyer.

I would still be loath to fly during a mission, only dom or evo, I'm a pussy

I have the Logitech wireless joystick....i am right there with you custard. I will fly in domination but not in a mission....but i know eventually i will have to and that scares me to get better. I was playing a mission the other day with a guy in pxs and he flew us 8 meters above the ocean all the way to the island. I can't keep it at a steady height let alone that close to the water.

Even in domination i will try to go round up the ammo boxes or something and i will be flying perfectly fine, good health and fuel yet all of a sudden i will just explode....no warning shots or anything. I assume it is surface to air stuff but i was hoping i didn't just move the wrong direction or something. Usually happens to me when transporting our guys from one town to another after completing the mission. So to avoid this are you s'posed to fly lower(out of sight) or higher(out of range) to survive?

And if you say lower then i am not to that level of flying yet. My throttle only seems to be on or off....so i am climbing or sinking...cant hover at a solid height even with auto hover on. I am suspecting my joystick is why i am seeking out what you guys are using successfully.

Nothing to do with ur kit Murky.

I am learning to fly as low as poss and use a route that takes me thru valleys avoiding cresting anywere.

I still get shot down by AA but friendlys calling in were the AA are and being uber carefull and the patience to fly slow is the only surefire way to get from A too B.

Its all teamwork bro.

If you plan on getting into more flight sims I would recommended the X-52 or the X-52 pro. Both are very good joysticks. If you dont plan on going any farther into flight sims, that one above would be a good one to try. The best thing I can think of for flying is to just practice. The flight models in this game are average at best, so anything can really go.

NP Floyd....we have that at times as well. If you have 2.3.5 it is a known issue....2.3.6 fixes it slightly by adding the Captcha when registering...but now they have surpassed that by having humans actually register then they turn the bots on to start the spamming. I have our registration to admin verify so they have to have a valid email and validate their account and then an admin has to approve the account. It has helped a LOT.

Going to upgrade to the new 3.0 soon and it is s'posed to be all fixed in that release. <crosses fingers>

I generally use keyboard and mouse.

I guide my chopper with the mouse, doing smooth fluid movements, so as not to lose control.

I then use WASD, to make fine adjustments, such as while landing etc, or climbing a mountain.

Once you get enough practise with this, you can fly a metre above trees up a hill, staying under radar cover, and land perfectly at the top, so your avoiding AA.

Edited by =WBGJ=Fenrir

I use a mouse and keyboard. What I do is instead of using my game pad like I do in infantry mode. I switch to the keyboard and use the Q and Z buttons there. I have found that this is far easier for me on the KB than on a game pad.

The other thing I have noticed is if you have a mouse with adjustable DPI such as a Log G9, set the dpi while flying to a medium setting. So you dont get the jerkiness of a high setting where you have it set for playing in infantry mode.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

But above all, practice.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

I currently use a keyboard to fly helos but the key is practice, practice and when you think you're good then practice some more. I'm going to transition to a joystick which will require even more practice for the new setup...looking foward to it.

Medic.....Do you mean a game pad or a speed pad. I'll need to pick your brain on that one.

Good Luck,

X

ps I think the quote is "Slow is Smooth and Smooth is Fast" Not sure of the origins but it speaks to the fact that the slower (and more deliberate) you move the smoother you will get resulting in progressively faster times.

ps I think the quote is "Slow is Smooth and Smooth is Fast" Not sure of the origins but it speaks to the fact that the slower (and more deliberate) you move the smoother you will get resulting in progressively faster times.

Damn I fubar'd that one, thats what I get for posting right after I wake up. I said it correctly in my head, but it was lost in translation.

Thanks X, you got my back.

I played a mission with some guys last night that was like domination but you did everything in the air. F15's AV-8's Cobra's and Uh1Y's...it was a LOT of fun and it really made me learn flying pretty fast too.

They also had bogey's so while two guys were doing bombing runs on the town eliminating the AA and tanks, the other two planes were protecting us by eliminating the bogey's. They were all on each other's wing the whole time...i haven't mastered it enough yet to stay that close. It was a lot of fun though....i still suck at flying...but that is what drives me to get better.

Thanks to Cylawyer i have adjusted my dead zone on my joystick and that has helped tremendously...i can actually hover without the auto-hover on now.

Getting there...just need more practice.

Does anyone know of a good mission that just lets you fly again and again after you crash? There used to be some evolution unlocked servers that allowed you to practice flying but they fill up with kiddies that just destroy everything at the base...but is there a mission that i could run on my own machine to just play around with the different flying machines....they all react differently.

Yeah you have to get used to flying each helo in a different way. They all have their own flight model, and unfortunately, the easiest to learn was the little bird but they don't have it anymore. I would start practicing on the smaller helos first (Huey) then go to the larger aircraft like the Blackhawk and MI-17, then to the Cobra and Hind models.

The hardest part is sticking to your waypoints and flaring (stopping) without going too high. It's just a mixture of steadily slowing down and decreasing the throttle until you're on the ground.

Murky, it's a part of the flight model. The stabalizing propeller on the back is pulling or pushing so much (on a hard rudder) that it naturally tilts the chopper to one side or the other. You just have to compensate a little when you hit that rudder.

I'll check what Zeno says though, I could be wrong.

Yes i checked the settings...i think you are right...it isn't a full tilt but a very slight tilt that is enough by the time i get there to mess up my coordinates....and i hate to tilt left or right as i never seem to get it straightened up...gonna have to adjust my axis sensitivity again and quit over-reacting...i haven't developed the touch yet...it'll come though and eventually i will be flying the choppers upside down just to give you a haircut.

• 2 weeks later...

I've perfected a technique for landing Blackhawks that is fast, effecient, and most of all, safe...

Basically, the trick is to bleed your energy off while still maintaining control and altitude. This is done by "spiraling" in a wide circle toward your objective, flying to the right/left directly on top of it while throttling down and pulling back and to the left/right on the stick. This is more efficient than "flaring" because you do not go up in altitude, plus you can keep your eye on the target. If done properly, you can go from 200mph to 0, hit your target in 15sec after visual is confirmed, and not go above your desired altitude.

Try it out and see how it works. I've posted a short video showing how it works, as well as a map...

User posted image