Spartans Home

New gift! But it's all streched-like.

Ebden~SPARTA~

The 'big one' this morning form the family was a new Samsung SyncMaster 2043SNX 20" widescreen.

According to what I found at the Samsung website, there is no driver specific to Win7x64 for the monitor. The desktop and OS appear undistorted, but Arma2 is stretched all to hell (err, at least enough to bug me).

The only available resolutions are widescreen-style in the game, and all leave me looking at squatish soldiers. Any ideas?

Is the monitor a junker? I wouldn't bring it up with my wife, but I am asking here.

The 'big one' this morning form the family was a new Samsung SyncMaster 2043SNX 20" widescreen.

According to what I found at the Samsung website, there is no driver specific to Win7x64 for the monitor. The desktop and OS appear undistorted, but Arma2 is stretched all to hell (err, at least enough to bug me).

The only available resolutions are widescreen-style in the game, and all leave me looking at squatish soldiers. Any ideas?

Is the monitor a junker? I wouldn't bring it up with my wife, but I am asking here.

I am far from an authority on this one but I have a ViewSonic 22" wide screen monitor and a new Asus 26" Wide Screen monitor and they both give me no distorion on Widescreen in game. So recheck (as I'm sure you have done) the web sight for the monitor and see what you find. Barring that do a search for independent analyis for that monitor and see what you find.

If all else fails, join the many in the return line and then get what you want (can afford).

Edited by ChiefRedCloud

I am far from an authority on this one but I have a ViewSonic 22" wide screen monitor and a new Asus 26" Wide Screen monitor and they both give me no distorion on Widescreen in game. So recheck (as I'm sure you have done) the web sight for the monitor and see what you find. Barring that do a search for independent analyis for that monitor and see what you find.

If all else fails, join the many in the return line and then get what you want (can afford).

I did check the web, no luck on drivers, but I also checked the 'aspect ratio' option in Arma2. I'm a dumbass. Main problem solved (AsRatio set to 16:9)

Still doesn't look as clean as my crt, a little more pixelated, the brightness I'll have to get used to as well.

I run Samsung as well. SyncMaster 2343BWX.

http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consumer/comp...il&tab=spec

I also have a Samsung LNT4042HX/XAA. A gift from my brother last Christmas. But even though it is only 720p, it looks just as good as my parents and my in-law's 1080p screens. And since we are in no hurry do go to BluRay, it isnt a problem.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16889102130

Enjoy your new Samsung.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

I run Samsung as well. SyncMaster 2343BWX.

http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consumer/comp...il&tab=spec

I also have a Samsung LNT4042HX/XAA. A gift from my brother last Christmas. But even though it is only 720p, it looks just as good as my parents and my in-law's 1080p screens. And since we are in no hurry do go to BluRay, it isnt a problem.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16889102130

Enjoy your new Samsung.

Perhaps a quality indicator is the monitor cable port. It has VGA only, no DVI option. No difference from my Dell 19" CRT, since it also plugged into my VGA-DVI adapter on the video card.

If it matters, not sure, since I haven't experienced the real McCoy yet.

ok, Im not sure if you solved your problem already,

however your monitor is a plug n play device, so it does not require any driver.

Problem you have is probably due to the fact you installed your new monitor on your computer just switching from the old monitor (different resolution) to the new one and Win 7 did not recognized the monitor on the spot.

To solve the stretching issue you have to be sure to set the resolution in win 7 accordingly with the max resolution of your new monitor, so called "native resolution". I do believe your resolution has to be set on 1600*900.

To do this on Win 7, right click in an empty space of your desktop, then click on the menu where it says "screen resolution" and from the appropriate scrolling selection be sure to choose 1600*900.

You also have to be sure to select this resolution for all of your games, modifying your settings within each one game.

If in a game you do not have this res, just choose the closest one.

That's it, you will be able to enjoy your neew toy with no stretching ;)

Have fun :)

Samsung T220

We have told ya, If they do not have it disregard. It's simple.

We have told ya what? Is the T220 some sort of killer monitor?

The resolution business seems to be sorted as well as I'm going to get. The rest of it, a somewhat 'blocky' appearance, I've heard is just something I need to get used to on an LCD monitor.

Hey Ebdan you said that you were used to your old CRT. I don't know if you could return that monitor or not but check out the samsung 2233rz its a 22" 3d gaming monitor with a 120hz refresh. The reviews say that this monitor is very close to the old CRT quality. I use one now, although I've never gamed on a CRT before I notice a difference when placed next to my 60hz display. Its funny because the mouse moves a little slower on the 60hz display plus the color is great on the 120hz sammy. Anyway have fun with your new toy Sammys are great monitors!

Samsung T220 here

is it possible to use the software that comes with the monitor?

Which software, you mean for your T220?

After reading a few of the other posts, I think that the monitor quality is what I should expect now. The 2043 was about $200, the 2233rz is $400. That's about all I can do for it now.

Which software, you mean for your T220?

After reading a few of the other posts, I think that the monitor quality is what I should expect now. The 2043 was about $200, the 2233rz is $400. That's about all I can do for it now.

[/quote

I pick up a 2233rz for just over 300 they r coming down in price now

Two other things to keep in mind regarding LCD displays:

Your monitor has a 16:9 aspect ratio, but not all games (primarily older titles) support widescreen resolutions, at least not in their menu settings. Visit www.widescreengamingforum.com to find solutions for getting these titles to run in widescreen resolutions; in most cases, you simply need to edit a config file.

The other thing to keep in mind is that, to get a good gaming experience, your new display should have a fast refresh rate to prevent "ghosting"--the persistence of an image, most noticeable is fast actions sequences. Ideally, you want a refresh rate of 5ms or less, although 8ms is pretty decent. Any higher number does not lend itself to a good gaming experience.

I mean, a "stretching" issue is only related to the correct resolution.

Set the right resolution (1600*900) on the windows desktop and ALSO on each and every one game you play and you are set to go.

On the other side, if you are unable to set that resolution, it depends on your videocard. You never stated what card you have, but being playing quite demanding games, I do assume you have a decent videocard and any decent videocard allows a resolution of 1600*900.

99% there is nothing wrong with your monitor. If after setting correct resolution you still have stretching issues, "could" be the monitor, but is quite a seldom situation.